Central American migrants meet the USA border…
What are the issues here?
Central Americans are being forced from their homelands for various reasons. They travel all the way to northern Mexico where they meet the USA border. Everything they know tells them that life will be better further north. However, they have many obstacles to overcome! The USA does not want them! Their internal politics have determined that these refugees are not welcome!
In reality, this is no different from that boats that were and still are heading to Australia!
They are simply being intercepted and incarcerated before they get anywhere near Australia!
If we look at Matthew 25:31-46, we see that we are to be judged according to how we have responded to others.
- When they are hungry, did I give them food?
- When they are thirsty, did I give them drink?
- When they were strangers, did I welcome them?
- When they lacked clothing, did I clothe them?
- When they are sick or in prison, did I visit them?
- How can we reconcile these two positions?
- Which is the appropriate position to maintain?
I have always had difficulty reconciling these! I believe that our political leaders have made the wrong choice for us! We need to treat these refugees as Matthew says. However, if some of these then prove to be other than refugees, then the appropriate action should be taken against them. We need to act with a preference for the poor and oppressed.
Over to you…